Another Piece Of Me? There’s None Left!
Computers; I-phones; I-pads; this gadget; that gadget… All meant to make life easier. All meant to give us more “time”. More time for what? More time for family? More time to work on our goals? More time for much needed refreshing? More time with the Lord? OR… more time to be filled with one more “must-do-activity” that will take one more piece of us! I don’t know about you, but there are times I don’t think I have any pieces left. I have found in my life experience that there are seasons where I get so out of balance – even doing good things, that every “piece” of my life begins to suffer. I can get so busy with so many things that I end up NOT making a positive impact in any area of my life! I end up doing NOTHING WELL! There are times I want to scream, “Stop The Madness! Let me off this E-ticket roller coaster ride from nightmare alley!” Yes, I am being dramatic, but that is how I truly feel at times!
Usually when my life spirals out of control – with too many pieces of my life being gnawed on by too many time carnivores, I start blaming this activity; this responsibility; this person or that person. When in reality the responsibility belongs with me. I am responsible for my life – not anyone else! I am the gatekeeper of my soul – not my husband, my boss, or anyone else in my life. Some may look in my life during those times and say, “PJ, you need to learn time management!” Well, I don’t agree at all! We cannot manage time. We are all blessed with 24 hours in the day – no more, no less. What I, what we, need to learn is “self” management. I need to ask the Lord to help me to manage me. I also need to learn a very important word: NO! No to the time suckers! No to the tyranny of the urgent – reminding myself and others that their lack of planning does not mean an emergency for me! No to being a “yes” man! I must quit saying yes to things just to please others when it puts a hardship on myself or my family. I also need to make sure my priorities are straight – putting my relationship with the Lord first. Scripture is clear, if I seek Him first… all these things will be added unto me. Sounds easy, huh? Not so much! We get so caught up in the have to’s; the gotta do it now’s; and the I can’t let anyone down’s, that we don’t have a spare minute to even think! So, what to do while I still have one piece of my sanity left?
- Just plain stop! Take a day; a week; whatever you need to do some honest soul searching. Get before God and ask God to help you set your priorities!
- Make sure your priorities are in God’s order: God first; family second; everything else after that.
- Get input from a trusted mentor or friend.
- Have a plan that includes “me” time. Actually schedule a date with yourself and make it as important as any other appointment.
- Cut out what is not yours. Apologize if you have to, but give back to others what is not yours. Be honest, and say you have to get better balance in your life.
- Be vigilant! The time bandits will try to burglarize you again. This is not a one time fix. It is something we must be on guard about at all times.