“Should Old Acquaintances Be Forgot…”
Resolutions? Are you kidding me? I only had one resolution this year: TO NOT MAKE RESOLUTIONS! Now that that is off my chest, let me tell you why… I have never met a resolution I couldn’t break by mid January. When I make resolutions and break them, I feel like a failure, like I will never change. Instead of making resolutions, this year I want to do something different…
Instead of “resoluting”, I want to do some “resolving”by answering the question, “should old acquaintances be forgot” with a resounding, “YES”!!! Before you think I am turning my back on all my dear ol’ friends, let me explain… If I want a New Year in which I achieve set goals; where I don’t repeat the same mistakes and where I end the year with a smile instead of a shriek; I have to leave some old “friends” behind. And who are these old friends… glad you asked:
I need to leave behind…
- the demons of the past. NOW is the time to “let go” of the old negativities that have kept us trapped in a whirlpool of doubt, guilt, shame and fear. Unforgiveness: choose to forgive! Bitterness: allow the Lord to help us make lemonade out of those past lemons! Guilt and Shame: Take off these evil shrouds and replace them by being clothed in the righteousness of the Lord – fully accepting His forgiveness and grace.
- battles that are not mine. It is so easy to get bogged down by battles the Lord never intended me to fight. Let go of other people’s drama. Repeat after me: “Not my circus, not my monkeys.” Yes, we are to help others; love others; but we are NOT to take on their issues. Each person must take personal responsibility if he or she is going to be spiritually and emotionally healthy.
- distractions, distractions, distractions. I personally believe this is one of the Devil’s biggest weapons. If he wants a Christian to become ineffective, all he has to do is get him or her distracted. Instead of fulfilling God’s purpose, the hurried, harried. worn out Christian gets so busy blustering from one thing to another that nothing of real consequence gets accomplished.
- unrealistic expectations. It is easy to become defeated before we get started because our expectations are just plain unrealistic. We need to ask the Lord for His direction; His wisdom; His strength to carry out His plan for our year.
- that weight that so easily besets us. Hebrews 12:1b says it plainly:” let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us.” And what are the things that hinder? the sin that entangles? Only I can answer that for me. Only you can answer that for you. But, bottom line, if it is something that holds us back, we need to leave it behind.
After reading what we may need to leave behind, why on earth would I call them “friends”. I called them friends because that is often what we have allowed them to become. We become comfortable with them in our lives and even intentionally blind to them. These “old acquaintances” who may have once served us as a defense mechanism we thought we needed, are now the things that can hinder or even destroy us. So, for 2016, join with me by saying good by to anything that hinders us from living our Christian life to the absolute fullest!
a class=”button-email” href=”/email-message/?formNumber=52″>Email-PJ</a